(contributions by Mohit Jain)
This web page describes how to download and upgrade AIX machine firmware. These instructions describe how to upgrade System and Service Processor (SvP) firmware (FW) for RS/6000 7044-170, 7044-270 and 7043-270 systems only. Do not use on any other systems.
The instructions are for upgrading from firmware version SPH02066 to SPH02254
You can verify the version of the firmware by issuing the command "prtconf
| grep Firmware". Before the execution of this procedure, the output should
be "Firmware Version: IBM,SPH02066".
System Firmware Update Description For Firmware Version SPH02254
(FYI, for any "b80" machines, the appropriate
firmware is NAN03029, which is available from the web site listed below.
The instructions for installing the NAN03029 firmware should be similar
to the subsequent instructions and corrects the following:
1) Get the software from the web (http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/mdownload/download.html)
2) In this page, in the table "System/Service Processor Combined Microcode",
for the model "7044-270", "Last Updated" is "11/20/2002",
"Sys Version SPH02254", "SvP Version sh020307", in the "Files to Read/Download" column, select "[ AIX format (969960B) ]"
3) In the resulting License Agreement page, READ IT ALL, then go to the bottom and click the "I have read and understood this license agreement...yada, yada,yada". This will initiate the download to your local machine. Save the file to your AIX box in the directory "/tmp/fwupdate".
4) Change directories to "/tmp/fwupdate", and assure that file "7044x70F.BIN" is the ONLY file in that directory.
5) Change the file mode to executable (i.e. "chmod +x 7044x70F.BIN").
5) At the AIX command prompt, type "./7044x70F.BIN", and when prompted, enter the Password: **RS/6000** (2 files will be extracted).
6) Change directories to "/usr/lpp/diagnostics/bin", and execute the command "./update_flash -f /tmp/fwupdate/sx02254.img". You will be queried to continue, enter "1" and press "Enter". The machine will then reboot. Wait a minth.
7) You can verify the version of the firmware by issuing the command
"prtconf | grep Firmware". After the execution of this procedure, the output
should be "Firmware Version: IBM,SPH02254"